Last week marked the start of the 118th Congress – and what a start it was.
If you read this newsletter regularly, you know that I came to Washington to change the status quo. I refuse to perpetuate the Swamp’s broken status quo, and I will never capitulate to it.
North Carolinians know that Washington is broken. Congress is one of the most unpopular and unsuccessful institutions in the nation for good reason. I came to the Swamp to fix that – and this week, we delivered on that promise.
Nineteen of my colleagues and I successfully fought the Swamp to fundamentally change the way that the House of Representatives operates. We spent four days fighting to break the status quo, negotiating an agreement that completes a months-long effort to reform the rules of the House, committing to specific policy strategies, and improving distribution of conservative voices across key committees. This is a truly transformative agreement that will make the People’s House once again work for the American people and hold Speaker McCarthy accountable to his promises.
Meanwhile notable conservatives in the media and government, including many recognizable faces from North Carolina who are perfectly happy with the status quo, decried this effort and actively fought against our efforts. Many of them are now changing their tune – calling this agreement the victory for conservatism and the Constitution that it is.
Here are just a few things my conservative colleagues and I secured that will transform the way Congress serves the people:
- 72 Hours to Read Bills Before Voting – It’s shocking that this wasn’t already in place and was only magnified by the recent $1.7 trillion omnibus spending bill
- Single Subject Bills – no more monstrous omnibus bills with thousands of unnecessary provisions crammed in.
- Open Floor Process – This will allow any member to offer an amendment on the floor while considering appropriations bills. This gives every single member the chance to more effectively represent their constituents.
- No More Omnibus Funding Bills – The House will pass all 12 appropriations bills separately and on time.
- Debt Ceiling to Include Fiscal Reforms – No debt limit increase without a budget agreement or other fiscal reforms
- Eliminating the Gephardt Rule – requires Congress to take a separate and accountable vote on raising the debt ceiling.
- Balanced Budget Amendment Vote – The FY 24 Budget Resolution will also balance within 10 years.
- Term Limits Vote – No more career politicians.
- The Holman Rule – allows Congress to ZERO OUT the salary of any
misbehaving federal bureaucrat.
- Select Committee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government – a powerful investigative subcommittee to uncover and remedy the Deep State’s extreme abuses of power and violations of Americans’ civil liberties.
- Conservative Members on Key Committees – conservative members will now have a voice on powerful House committees, including the Rules Committee.
- Restores Jeffersonian Motion to Vacate the Chair – Restores a lever of accountability to the House. If needed, one member may offer a motion to remove the Speaker.
- Ending All COVID Mandates – The House will end these mandates and fight to reinstate all troops kicked out of the military due the COVID vaxx mandate.
Throughout this process, we saw some of the best and the worst of Washington. While there were Members negotiating in good faith and journalists doing good reporting, there were also Members who called the 20 terrorists and journalists who lied and obfuscated for clicks.
One false news story even claimed that I would resign from Congress if our effort failed – I said no such thing. I will serve my term with all the force and vigor in me.
Thank you to everyone who reached out to my office with feedback and messages of support. I was heartened by the messages I received from our district and across the nation.
After securing these transformational victories, it is time to get to work for the American people. I look forward to working with my colleagues to deliver real al results and begin to restore transparent, accountable, Constitutional government in Washington.
Rep. Dan Bishop represents North Carolina’s 8th Congressional District.