Wake Forest has notified the ACC and Duke that the Deacons will not be able to play as scheduled on Saturday because of a combination of positive COVID-19 cases, quarantine of close contacts and injuries.
In abundance of caution, Wake will suspend team activities and practice on Wednesday and Thursday.
“Our number one priority is the health and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches and staff,” Deacons athletic director John Currie said in a statement issued Tueday night. “I’m so proud of how our team has faced the unprecedented challenges of 2020. We are blessed with world class medical care and guidance thanks to Wake Forest Baptist Health and Dr. Chris Miles, and we look forward to resuming activities as soon as is appropriate.”
Wake will work with Duke and the ACC in hopes of rescheduling the game. The Deacons already had their remaining schedule adjusted earlier this week to help create a date for a makeup game between Louisville and Georgia Tech.
“We are obviously extremely disappointed that we will be unable to play Duke this Saturday,” Deacons coach Dave Clawson said. “The opportunity to bounce back this weekend was something that our student-athletes and staff were looking forward to. However, we have and always will keep our players safety at the forefront of our decision-making process. ”