LOS ANGELES — “Slumdog Millionaire” director Danny Boyle has confirmed that he’s working on the next James Bond movie.
The filmmaker made the admission to Metro New York on Wednesday night at a special screening in New York of his new FX series “Trust.”
“We are working on a script right now,” he said when asked if he’s directing the next film in the franchise. “And it all depends on that, really. I am working on a Richard Curtis script at the moment. We hope to start shooting that in six or seven weeks. Then Bond would be right at the end of the year. But we are working on them both right now.”
MGM declined to comment. Variety first reported that Boyle was high on MGM’s list to direct the pic. He has long been in MGM and Eon’s sights to board a Bond movie, dating back to 2012’s “Skyfall” and 2015’s “Spectre.”
Boyle also said in the interview that John Hodge is expanding on an idea for Bond 25. Hodge and Boyle previously collaborated on “Shallow Grave,” “Trainspotting,” “A Life Less Ordinary,” “The Beach,” “Trance,” and “T2 Trainspotting.”
“We’ve got an idea, John Hodge — the screenwriter — and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment,” Boyle said. “And it all depends on how it turns out. It would be foolish of me to give any of it away.”
Boyle confirmed the report Thursday, saying, “We are working on a script which we hope they’ll like.”
He also said he does not yet know the details of when and where Bond 25 will shoot.
Daniel Craig is set to return to star in the new Bond movie. MGM and Eon announced in July that the film would open on Nov. 8, 2019.
Sam Mendes directed the previous two installments, which became the highest-grossing films in the series, with “Skyfall” hauling $1.1 billion globally and “Spectre” earning $880.7 million at the worldwide box office. Mendes said after the most recent Bond movie that he would not continue directing films in the 007 series.